I’ve been living a lie ….
What I’m about to share with you is important because it has everything to do with being successful online .
My Mentors have turned me inside out and for good reason. My brain, my mind feels like scrambled eggs. But worth it – because it’s life changing ….
Here’s the lie and you may resonate with this…. but first a brief “cliff note” version of my life up to today (I’ll spare you the details) …
- Abandoned by my mother at 3-years-old
- Placed in foster homes
- Father an alcoholic (but a great artist)
- Abusive relationships
- High school drop out
- Loveless marriage
The lie is what circumstance dealt me caused me to believe for years I was worthless. Circumstance and situations shadowed my potential and seeing my value as a human being. Why? Because those around me didn’t nurture what I could be. People felt sorry for me because of the lack of family or support from parents. When you live a life thinking you don’t amount to much – well, must be true right? Because everyone thinks it … or so it seemed.
The struggles I had were simply rising above it all to prove them wrong.
- I returned to school
- Graduated College
- Traveled to Europe
- Started my own Art Gallery
- Got Married
- Had a son
- Became an Registered Nurse
All the while still thinking I wasn’t good enough. Until I realized that I have to change my story. Not so much change it, but rather look at through different “glasses”.
I think now that every person is supposed to have something in their life experience that drags them down. Because the lesson in life is to learn, on your own, how to believe in yourself …
No one can do this for you.
Here’s why I’m sharing this with you. Because how you think about yourself creeps in to everything you do. If you don’t believe in your own potential and value how can you help others?
My mentors showed me this. One of them had an even more screwed up life growing up than I did! He shared his story to demonstrate you can change your perception of who you are and the change will will affect the direction you go in your life – dramatically.
Is it easy? No. Does it happen over night? No. It’s a process and a journey – if you’re willing to explore, discover, and overcome things in your life and experience the good that you can create from it …
How do you do this?
- Be willing to cry a lot – it’s a release of emotional pain
- Remember the things you accomplished without influence from others
- Get a Mentor
- Recognize whatever the circumstance was/is … you are not the sum of others opinions of you
- Forgive yourself for thinking the worst, start thinking the best
- Know thoughts are real and whatever you’re telling yourself, bad or good, guard your thoughts, keep it positive
- You DO have a choice in how your choose to think
Getting your head straight is the most important thing you can do for your success in life, your business offline and online.